Working on your Doctorate in Mad Science? Consider making Girl Genius your dissertation topic.
I don't think the strip has discussed this before, but the print-novels explain at one point that "the fleshyards" is the area now occupied by the Great Hospital. --Geoduck42 (talk) 06:10, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
"Used Meats". Okaaaay....Bosda Di'Chi 12:11, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
- I can't adequately explain why 'Meats' makes it more unsettling than 'Used Meat'. PhoenixTalion (talk) 16:14, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
Here are some assumptions I am making about this page that may eventually be reflected in its chronology entry:
- Paracleezious the Mad was a Heterodyne.
- "The Boys" in panel 6 is a reference to Bill and Barry Heterodyne.
- The person "the Boys" ran out of town was old Master Jorbelox
- I agree with the last two, but I don't think Paracleezious was a Heterodyne. That doesn't sound like a name one of them would give to his offspring, and while Heterodynes do what they want, I don't see one wasting his time designing a Guild Hall. Either way, it's probably a joking reference to the real-life polymath Paracelsus.--Geoduck42 (talk) 03:40, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
- I agree, though what do you have to do to earn the particular sobriquet "the Mad" in this setting, let alone Mechanicsburg specifically? EDIT: though I guess 'him' in the last panel could also be Paracleezious, one can't really discount the idea of a 400 year old monster architect in this story.PhoenixTalion (talk) 16:14, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks to both Geoduck42 and PhoenixTalion for responding. Geoduck42: I agree that it is far from certain that Paracleezious was a Heterodyne and, if I mention that possibility at all in the chronology, it will be with strong reservations. Thanks for mentioning and providing a Wikipedia link to Paracelsus; I knew the name sounded familiar, but I didn't make the connection myself. PhoenixTalion: I realized that the identity of the person who was run out of town was ambiguous from Hembelbrogg's statement alone, but I decided the fact that it happened 400 years ago eliminated Paracleezious. But, of course, you're right. There is no reason he(?) shouldn't still be living, even after all that time, in Girl Genius. -- 🔧William Ansley (talk) 02:02, 11 October 2021 (UTC)
1. I really like Snakkerjape's design, I hope he makes some kind of appearance in the main story. 2. Cheyenne is a lot better at drawing the monsters than the ordinary humans, at least the young and attractive ones. I also noticed this in Homecoming King. 3. It only took two panels for Snakkerjape and Dr. Hembelbrogg's relative sizes to become inconsistent, oops. PhoenixTalion (talk) 16:14, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
- Also, I'm so used to Doctor Who that it took me a dozen reads of this page to realize he claims the Guildhall was bigger on the outside. PhoenixTalion (talk) 21:12, 11 October 2021 (UTC)